Belém Tower (the Tower of St Vincent) is a fortified tower. It was commissioned by King John II in 1515 to be part of a defense system at the mouth of the Tagus river and a ceremonial gateway to Lisbon.
Map of the Area Around
Belém Tower Categories
Belém Tower was built in the early 16th century and is a prominent example of the Portuguese Manueline style. The structure was built from lioz limestone and is composed of a bastion and a 30 m (100 foot), four story tower.
Since 1983, Belém Tower has been classified as a UNESCO World Heritage Site because of the significant role it played in the Portuguese maritime discoveries of the era of the Age of Discoveries.