Lazienki Palace

Royal Baths Park
Warsaw, Masovian Voivodeship, Poland

Lazienki Palace and Lake
The Baths Palace has several names: the Palace on the Water, Water Palace and the Palace on the Isle. The building began as a bathhouse for Stanisław Herakliusz Lubomirski, owner of adjacent Ujazdów Castle.

Map of the Area Around
Lazienki Palace

Prince Stanisław Herakliusz Lubomirski was a high official in the Polish royal court. He bought the property in 1674 rented it to King August II, who ordered the construction of a new royal residence, including the Bath House.

In 1795, King Stanisław August Poniatowski, the last King and Grand Duke of the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth, lived on the property and remodeled the Bath House into a private palace.

Lazienki Palace Categories

  • Art Museums and Galleries

    The Lazienki Palace or Bath House is currently part of the Warsaw Centre for Contemporary Art along with the gardens and other buildings around it.
  • Castles and Palaces

    The Bathhouse was remodeled between 1764 to 1795. On the first floor are the royal apartments, the upper picture gallery, the balcony room, the king's cabinet, the royal bed chambers, the cloakroom, and the officer's room.
  • Man-Made

    The marble building was constructed before 1683. Finished in 1689, it was intended to serve as a bathhouse, habitable pavilion and a garden grotto. Stanisław August Poniatowski decided to convert it into private quarters around 1764.

Other Lazienki Palace Resources


Popular Landmarks

Visit our sister site:
Visit Landmark: United States