The West Block (officially the Western Departmental Building; in French: Edifice administratif de l'ouest) is one of the three original buildings on Parliament Hill, containing offices for parliamentarians.
Map of the Area Around
West Block Categories
When it was complete in 1865, the first tenants of the West Block were the offices of the Postmaster General, the Ministry of Public Works, and the Crown Lands departments.
Designed by Thomas Stent and Augustus Laver, construction on the West Block started in late 1859. As Parliamentary staff increased, more space was added to the building in 1878 and in 1906.