The East Block's official name is the Eastern Departmental Building (Edifice administratif de l'est). Construction on the East Block began in 1859. It contains offices for members of Parliament, as well as some preserved pre-Confederation spaces.
Map of the Area Around
East Block Categories
The East Block is one of Canada's original three main Parliamentary buildings that sit on Parliament Hill. It
contained the Governor General's Office. as well as the offices for all the Cabinet ministers.
Designed by Thomas Stent and Augustus Laver, the East Block is an asymmetrical structure built in the Victorian High Gothic style.