Parliament Hill (Colline du Parlement) is the home of the Parliament of Canada and contains a number of buildings and monuments that are symbols of Canada. Parliament Hill attracts approximately three million visitors each year.
Map of the Area Around
Official Name and BoundriesParliament Hill was officially named in 1875 by the Parliament of Canada Act.
The official bonderies are defined as the Ottawa River on the north, the Rideau Canal on the east, Wellington Street on the south, and a service road (Kent Street) near the Supreme Court on the west.
The 88,480 square meters (952,391 sq ft) area is maintained by the National Capital Commission.
The south front of the property is marked by a Victorian High Gothic wrought iron fence, named the Wellington Wall. In the center of the fence sits the formal entrance to Parliament Hill: the Queen's Gates. At each southern corner of the quadrangle are also smaller gates for every-day access.